Tuesday 20 April 2010

Freak like me...

Yesterday I met up with a friend who i haven't seen for a couple of months, I had been quite looking forward to it. I've been lying low since the last round of IVF, not wanting to find excuses for not drinking, (I've used up the I'm on antibiotics story.)

As I strolled into the bar I saw her smile turn into a frown..
"God, arn't you tall enough already? You'll make me look tiny"

Yep...I'm a tall woman (just under 6ft) who likes to wear heels (especially on a fat day)...DEAL WITH IT....It's not my fault you're a short arse....

A little later on during our lunch..

"So how long have you been straightening your hair? I love your curly hair. Why do people like you who have beautiful hair that most of us would kill for, insist on straightening your hair? I would love to have your hair."



I explained I was tired of looking like Russell Brand in the morning,not that I have any idea what Russell Brand looks like in the morning, but it's really not a good look for me, there looks like something has been nesting in the top of my head all night.




I am tired at having to spend at least half an hour in the morning trying to get rid of the back combed Crystal Tips on a bad day look (anyone remember her? Crystal Tips & Alastair)

Hell, even on a good day I look like Diana Ross in the Chain Reaction video...anyone need a visual reminder?



No...it's easier, better for my self esteem, less time consuming, less hair products and generally less scariness involved in the mornings now I straighten my hair...

This was met with extreme disapproval...I could see it in her face that she wasn't convinced by my arguement, I swear she TUT-ed with her eyes...I could see her eyebrows move..
"So, have you met anyone yet?"

Nope, no one of interest.
"You're not still seeing 'HIM' are you?"

Nope...that finished a while back, and he does have a name.

"Well, you better get a move on sweets, you're not getting any younger!"
She's smiling as she says this, as if she's offering me some invaluable and good intentioned advice.
I'm inwardly growling... No shit Sherlock.

We move on to my job..
"You still there then?"

Yes...I am still there..
"How long has it been?"

It's been over 10 years...as well you know. It's been so long I've stopped counting.

"So, any holidays booked this year? I am off to Florida in July"
Nope, no holidays booked (as if I can afford holidays with what's going on)
"What's wrong with you? I just can't get through the winter unless I've booked our jollies for the year. We are going to the South of France in October too."

But she doesn't know what's really going on, she knows nothing about the IVF...
She doesn't know that I am attempting to get pregnant using donor sperm...

And considering she has just made me feel like a freak of nature for wearing high heels, straightening my hair, being single, having held down a job for over ten years and for not booking a holiday...I'm not about to tell her either...

3 comments:

  1. One word for you:

    Your "friend" is JEALOUS!

    She sees something in you that's different to what you see...

    Maybe what she sees is a tall, sassy single girl with amazing hair, out dating and living her life, a self-motivated person and respected employee with a solid career, no partner or kids dragging her down, a good saver who doesn't waste money on holidays... blah blah blah.

    Bit like the hair, isn't it - wanting what the other person has! Silly of her not to see that we all have our own struggles on our path, and imagine that there might be more going on for you than you're saying.

    I hope that your IVF is wonderfully successful and you see those two red lines very soon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much stepmumoftheyear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I meant to say:

    I LOVE the phrase "No shit, Sherlock!" and employ it against stepfamily-ignorant comments all the time.

    In my mind, anyway. And on my blog, in an anonymous, passive-aggressive kind of way!

    Good luck for the next few days/weeks with your baby-making. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete