Monday 8 March 2010

Egg Collection Day...

I took my first Temazepam last night, and had a surprisingly good nights sleep (thanks to the temazepam!)and I'd woken up nervous but mostly excited.

Although my friend said her egg collection was excruciatingly painful, I had read that some women don't feel it at all. I was gonna be one of THOSE women!

Arrived at the clinic armed with my Mum, some furry socks, 2 more temazepam and a diclofenac suppository...mmm, nice!I was not looking forward to sticking that up my bum.

The nurse came in with a few more things for me to sign and explained the procedure that was about to take place. I necked my temazepam and then went to the loo to put the diclofenac in position. Went back to the little warm waiting room and put on the white towelling robe & plastic clogs that had been provided...i felt very glamourous....NOT

Half an hour or so went by and I could feel the temazepam kicking in, it reminded me of being stoned and i was quite enjoying it until I had to stand up and go to the loo. That reminded me of my party animals days, staggering around completely off my head at 5 o'clock in the morning. Mum & I had a bit of a giggle as I nearly fell over on the way to the loo.

The nurse came in and guided me through to procedure room. I sat myself in the chair and put my legs up in the stirrups....Oh the glamour of it all!

The Dr then started work, the lovely nurse giving me a running commentary of what he was doing. I couldn't see anything apart from the nurse but my Mum watched as they filled 30 or so test tubes with liquid/blood from my ovaries...I didn't feel a thing :)

I could hear the embryologist in the next room, "one egg"....."just cells"...."egg number 2"....

The final count was 5 eggs which I was disappointed with, I had hoped for more,but the nurse said that that was plenty..

I went back to the little warm room and waited for the consultant to come in.. He said that the procedure had gone well and that he was pleased with the result. All we had to do now was wait for the sperm to defrost and then it would be mixed with my eggs. The consultant said that they expected 40-60% of the eggs to fertilise.

I was to go home, rest and wait for a phone call the following day to tell me how many of the eggs had fertilised. The transfer was planned for 3 days later...

I went home and excitedly tried to imagine the cells dividing and growing...

I was not prepared for what happened the following morning....

2 comments:

  1. What happened the next morning?! Oooh, you've got me hooked -- can't wait to find out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that is so amazing...i never thought that Temazepam pills can also be used for this. did your doctor prescribed it to you?

    ReplyDelete